The Georgia Forestry Commission (GFC) is a dynamic state agency responsible for providing leadership, service and education in the protection and conservation of Georgia's forest resources. Our headquarters is located in Dry Branch, Georgia. District and county offices are located throughout the state. Commission professionals provide a wide variety of services including fire detection, issuing burn permits, wildfire suppression and prevention services, emergency and incident command system expertise, rural fire department assistance, forest management assistance to landowners and communities, the marketing and utilization of forest resources and nature services, and growing and selling quality tree seedlings for planting.
- 2017 VFA/NFP Grant Program Announced - 50/50 Match Grant
- Now accepting requests for the 2017 NFP/VFA 50/50 and VFA Wildland PPE 50/50 grant. Requests due November 4.
- Timber Impact Assessment: Hurricane Matthew, October 8-9, 2016
- Assessment of overall damage to forests in GA due to Hurricane Matthew
- 2014 Economic Impact of Forestry Report Released
- The 2014 Economic Impact of Forestry report was released January 6, 2016 and may be downloaded HERE.
- Winter 2016 Cogongrass in Georgia Update
- Find out the latest information on cogongrass in Georgia.
- Notice of Timber Harvesting Activity
- The updated Notice of Timber Harvesting Activity Form is effective July 1, 2015 and may be downloaded HERE.
- New Law Strengthens Timber Sale Regulations (click for details)
- A new law strengthening timber sale regulations and increasing protection for forest landowners went into effect on July 1st. House Bill 790 brings change to many parts of the timber sale process and the authority of GFC law enforcement officers to enforce all laws relating to the protection, security, conservation or sale of timber transactions.
Want to try out our newsletter?
Stay in the know with the new GFC newsletter. We'll send you the latest breaking GFC and forestry updates in a concise, easy to read format for you to read any time.