Landowner Forest Management Services
Georgia Forestry Commission (GFC) foresters and technicians are available to assist landowners with a variety of forest management services. Following is a brief overview of programs and services offered by the GFC forest managment staff.
Landowners can contact their local GFC Forester for further assistance.
- Cost-share and conservation assistance through federal and state programs
- Consulting Foresters, Forestry Service Contractors, Master Timber Buyers,
Timber Harvest Notification Ordinances, Certified Arborists, Christmas Tree and Pine Straw Producers
- Forest health information, education, and training
- Forest pests and invasive species identifcation and management recommendations
- Forest Legacy Program administration and conservation easement assistance
Management Plans and Advice
- Provide site specific consultation and written guidelines on topics such as reforestation, timber stand improvement, harvesting, and timber selling
- Development of multiple-use Forest Stewardship Plans and a program for landowners known as GROWS (Georgia Recognizes Our Woodland Stewards) which provides a forum for exchanging information and ideas on how to manage forestland
- Mechanical fuel treatment is ideal for areas in the wildland-urban interface, and land near gas lines, power lines, rights of ways and other smoke sensitive areas.
- Assistance with prescribed burning, including firebreak installation, burn plan development and assistance carrying out a burn
- Tax and estate planning information and resources for forest landowners
- Pine and hardwood bare root seedlings for sale
- Advice on Forestry Best Management Practices (BMPs), as well as monitoring and education
- BMP learning modules online
- Forest water quality and wetland complaint investigation and mediation
- Timber Harvest Notification Ordinances Information